Aurora St. Luke’s Medical Center School of Diagnostic Medical Sonography
Due to a high demand for sonographers, the program has decided to increase the number of students accepted for 2015.
Enrollment is currently open for the class starting in fall 2015. Applications will be accepted through June 30, 2015.
Please review the Prerequisites to see if you qualify.
About Aurora St. Luke’s
Aurora St. Luke’s Medical Center is the sponsoring institute for the School of Diagnostic Medical Sonography. The school is a 21-month, full time, hospital-based program dedicated to preparing individuals for a rewarding career in medical imaging. The academic and clinical components are designed to provide qualified applicants with the knowledge and skills essential for an entry-level sonographer. New classes begin in September following the Labor Day holiday.
The school offers two distinct learning tracks in Sonography;
- General/Vascular option, which includes didactic and clinical instruction in the areas of abdominal, obstetrics/gynecology, and vascular ultrasound.
- Cardiac/Vascular option, which includes didactic and clinical instruction in the areas of adult echocardiography and vascular ultrasound.
Graduates meet the requirements for application to the American Registry for Diagnostic Medical Sonography® (ARDMS).
Credentials and associated ARDMS examinations graduates are encouraged to apply for include:
|Examination||Corresponding Specialty Exam||Credentials Earned|
|SPI Sonography Principles & Instrumentation Exam||Abdomen (AB)||RDMS|
|Obstetrics & Gynecology (OB/GYN)|
|Adult Echocardiography (AE)||RDCS|
|Vascular Technology (VT)||RVT|
Provide high quality educational opportunities and graduate highly skilled sonographers. The faculty is committed to delivering a foundation of clinical and technical knowledge that leads to quality patient care experiences.
In support of our mission we continually measure program outcomes to insure our school meets the expectations of our students, the requirements of our regulatory agencies, and the needs of the medical community. Program assessment is in support of the following goals:
- Provide superior educational experiences that develop each student's potential.
- Impart quality education in an atmosphere that fosters interest in and enthusiasm for learning.
- Offer an educational experience that promotes effective communication skills, critical thinking abilities and professionalism.
- Expand awareness of program quality throughout the hiring community.
- Prepare competent entry-level adult cardiac, general, and vascular sonographers that possess the knowledge, skills, and behaviors to meet the needs of the medical imaging community.
- Encourage program faculty, graduates, and sonographers within our community of interest to recognize and to act upon individual needs for continuing education as a function of growth and professional competence.
Formed in 1981, Aurora St. Luke’s Medical Center's Program in Diagnostic Ultrasound was one of the first nationally accredited sonography programs in the nation.
Upon the recommendation of the Joint Review Committee on Education in Diagnostic Medical Sonography (JRCDMS) the cardiac, general and vascular concentrations are accredited by:
The Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health
Education Programs (CAAHEP)
35 E. Wacker Dr., Suite 1970
Chicago, IL 60601
The sponsoring institute is authorized to provide post-secondary education in the State of Wisconsin under the authority of the Education Approval Board (EAB).
The Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations (JCAHO) accredits Aurora St. Luke’s Medical Center and the clinical affiliates.
To find an accredited sonography program in your area go to:
For more information regarding the importance of accreditation go to:
The School of Diagnostic Medical Sonography offices, classroom and laboratory facilities are located at:
Aurora Health Care – Airport
180 West Grange Avenue
Milwaukee, WI 53207
Aurora St. Luke’s Medical Center
2900 W. Oklahoma Ave.
Milwaukee, WI 53215
The program maintains various clinical sites to give students a diverse educational experience.
- Aurora Advanced Healthcare
- Aurora Medical Center Grafton
- Aurora Medical Center Kenosha
- Aurora Medical Center Summit
- Aurora Sheboygan Memorial Medical Center
- Aurora Sinai Medical Center
- Aurora St. Luke’s Medical Center – sponsoring institute
- Aurora St. Luke’s South Shore
- Aurora West Allis Medical Center
While every effort is made to provide accurate and current information, Aurora St. Luke’s Medical Center School of Diagnostic Medical Sonography reserves the right to change statements in this catalog without notice.